Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Arizona's Immigration Law

I was just reading an article about a high school girl's basketball team that was supposed to go to Arizona to play in a tournament and the school has decided that they cannot go because of Arizona's new immigration law. Apparently the school has decided that they need to make sure that all of it's students would be safe and they cannot guarantee that the girls would be safe in Arizona. Seriously??? I am pretty sure that the chances of there being an illegal alien on a basketball team from the midwest are slim to none. This is getting ridiculous! I think that all of the people who are refusing to visit Arizona are stupid. What good does this really do, other then hurt the people of Arizona.

The law was passed for a reason. I live in a border town and I do not believe it is racial profiling to check ones immigration status. Heck if you really want to profile you could profile me here since I am much more of a minority. My real question is since when is it NOT illegal to be an "illegal alien"? Heck, the term itself says illegal. There are too many repeat crimes committed by illegal residents that could have been avoided if the persons immigration status would have been checked the first time they were arrested. Do they really think that police officers are going to just start randomly pulling people over to check their immigration status? I am pretty sure that they just might have better things to do with their time. If they do pull some one over that is committing a crime or offense I see no problem with them checking to see if they person is in this country legally. I guess I always assumed they did this anyways. Everyone says that if the person left the house without their documents they are out of luck and would be arrested. My whole thing is that if you can manage to leave your house with your drivers license every time you get behind the wheel, why can't you make sure you have your immigration papers in your wallet? Why not make it mandatory for states to put ones immigration status on a drivers license?

Yes, I know that I sound like a heartless person with my views on this topic, but I truly don't see a problem with this law. If I was in another country I would be expected to show that I am in that country legally and I would have no problem with it at all! Why does it have to be such a big deal here? I love my country and I respect the people who immigrate here legally. This country was built by immigrants. But, they did it legally (most) and did not hide in trucks or sneak across the border into the desert. I know that life is not perfect in Mexico and other countries. Everyday I here about multiple murders right across the border from me in Juarez, but this is still no reason to break another countries laws. There are legal routes to take and though they make take time at least they could live here without the fear of deportation after the process is over with.

I think our country is in dire need of immigration reform and I think that those people who do not live in a border state do not quite understand. Instead of boycotting a state and hurting it's residents why not contact your senator or congressman with your concerns. I know that this won't do that much, but it is much better then boycotting the grand canyon (yeah, that one makes a lot of sense). Boycotting Arizona is not going to help Arizona's immigration problems. Refusing to let high school girls play in a tournament that they had raised money for and have been looking forward to this year is not the answer. I am sure that there are problems to this law and it may be abused by a few, but I don't think it is a bad thing. We need to have secure borders and I don't blame the state of Arizona for taking matters into it's own hands since the federal government has had better things to reform such as healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment